The Academic Dean supports the academic success of all high school students at Harker. The Dean is responsible for helping students make thoughtful and informed decisions about their classes during their high school careers in preparation for success at college and beyond. In the role of advising students with course selection for success in college, the Dean serves in the role of grade
9 – 11 college counselor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Host informational meetings for MS families about coursework and course selections in the Upper School (one Grade 8 parent Q&A and one Grade 8 student assembly, focusing on their choices for 9th grade).
- Present to 9th grade students the graduation requirements and help them start a 4 year high school plan.
- Offer to meet with Grade 9 families during 9th grade to review the four year plan and give counsel regarding coursework and academic scheduling.
- Meet and work with Grade 10 and Grade 11 students and/or parents on an as-needed basis regarding scheduling issues.
- Work directly with College Counselors and US Head to brainstorm solutions to student course issues.
- Review and recommend scheduling exceptions to the US Head.
- Fulfill the responsibilities of the Global Online Academy Site Director, including enrolling students in GOA courses and supporting the students during their semester of GOA work.
- Organize and run semester 2 final exams in June.
- Chair the honor board, including oversight of adult members of honor system.
- Proactively work with honor council and provide academic integrity education
- Inform students of course requirements, prerequisites, course sequences, and graduation requirements.
- Monitor student progress towards graduation and alert students and US Head if necessary
- Meet with new students (transfers) as they are accepted into Harker and monitor their progress toward graduation.
- Keep the Course of Studies and Course Planner (online student planning tool) up to date and accurate. Through working closely with teachers and department chairs, the Dean can best represent courses to students and parents.
- Organize and present annual Course Selection Information Night for parents and students.
- Assist the Head of Upper School in various areas as needed
Other Duties and Responsibilities